Friday, January 11, 2008

Engine rebuild

This winter I'll be rebuilding my engine on the R6.

So far I have managed to dismount it from the frame, and dismantled most of the engine.

(Click on the pictures to get a full-res version)

  1. The camshafts looks quite good, only minor wear on them, and no pitting at all.



  2. The camshaft journals are fine, slight wear on the camchain side, but that is to be expected.



  3. The intake ports are fine, and have been worked over once.


  4. The exhaust ports are filled with carbon deposits.



  5. The combustion chamber is filled with carbon deposits. The enigne used quite a lot of oil, and it shows on the head and on the pistons.


  6. The valves seems fine, but I need to take few messurments to get the valve stem to valve guide clearence. One of the exhaust valves in cylinder 3 won't come out. I guess the head has been hammerd flat because of a faulty hardning. The valves also need a good cleaning, lots of carbon deposits.


  7. The camchain was quite used, so a new one will do wonders.



  8. The cylinders are good.



  9. The pistons looks good, only minor scuffing on the skirts. But a lot of carbondeposits on the crown.



  10. The crank is fine, and all the bearings looks good. One thing that puzzled me is that the crank bearings are the widest size (green) where they should have been two sizes tighter (black). I guess the reasoning is reduced friction from the bearings.


  11. The connecting rod big end bearings are fine, a little blank here and there, but not much wear.


  12. The oil pump had to have the chain cut to be removed, so a new chain will get installed. Besides from that, the oil punp seems fine.


  13. The oil pickup strainer had quite a few metallic particles in it.


  14. The water pump is corroded, from either cavitaion or running plain water (ups).



  15. The clutch basket and boss has some indentions from the cluthplates. I might smooth them out.



  16. The gears looks good, but I still need to remove the lower shaft, and disassmeble both the shafts.


I have not spotted the reason for the high oil consumtion. As you can see from the images, there has been very little blowby on the pistons, so my current suspect is the valve seals. But I'm going to change them anyway.

If you want to see more pictures (some of them in very high resolution) then have a look at this album.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm rebuilding an 2004 R6 my big end conrod bearings had the green code bearing shells when they should have been brown.
Interestind that yours had mains on 2 sizes up.

dmr said...

Please look into getting Woolich Racing Tuned software for your machine. With some fine tuning it makes a huge difference. Feel free to contact me on gqracingsolutions@gmail.com