Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dish washing

Today I talked a bit with Michael Jansberg (of WSS tuning fame). He gave me a few hints, and I can probably get him to take a look at the engine head, cylinders and pistons.

So as preparation for that, I went to the shop to take out the gearbox, and clean some parts up.

The gearbox came out nicely. It is, strangely, the only place in the engine where you need a torx key (size T30). The main bearing on the drive shaft seems to have a rough spot, so I might need to change it.

I used some regular detergent to clean the valve cover, camshaft cap and head. It worked nice. To get rid of the remaining liquid gasket, I used Loctite 7200. Loctite really makes it a breeze (a stinking breeze thou) to remove gaskets, and it even took a lot of the soot/carbon deposits with it. Take a look at the difference:



When I had cleaned the head, I noticed some pitting in the squish areas. I guess it's from running with no air filter, and I hope Mr. Jansberg have a few tricks to mend them.

I also took the pistons apart and cleaned them. The cross pin came right out, with out using a driver/puller or anything fancy.

No comments: